Saturday, June 16, 2012

Final Day in Wilmington

Hello again!  This morning I went to the Full Belly workshop to pick up the boxes that I am going to be bringing with me to Guatemala.  I took some pictures and video that I posted on a different page of this blog.  I also included a short video demonstration of the first prototype of the Peanut Aflatoxin UV Scanner box in action, so you can see how that works. 

Also, today I picked up a two packs of 50 medical-grade surgical gloves and one pack of 50 surgical masks.  They were approximately $30 total from a local pharmacy in town, and will supplement the free samples that I already obtained from our county hospital.  During all of the experiments, we will use gloves while handling the peanuts, both for protection against harmful aflatoxins and to avoid cross-contamination between peanut samples.  We are using the masks during shelling, and afterwards will test them for aflatoxins, to double-check that the UNS does not expose the person operating the machine to harmful fumes containing aflatoxins. 

I going to sleep early tonight because my flight leaves at 7:10 am tomorrow morning, and I have to be there 2 hours early for the custom built checked-in baggage (two halves of the Peanut Aflatoxin UV Scanner box.  Tomorrow, after I arrive in Guatemala, I am meeting up with Sasha deBeausset, who is part of the Mani+ organization and will be my first contact in Guatemala.  She is planning to pick me up at the airport when my plane lands around 12 noon, and transport me and all of the Full Belly luggage to a hotel in Guatemala City where I'm staying the first night. 

Bye for now, the next time I post it will be from Guatemala.  Talk to you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment